Tazmeena Haque from Tazbuds shares with you her secret to a quick and easy Chinese dish. If you do not have all of the ingredients below, then Udon Worry, just replace it with something that you have already that you like. Remember, cooking is a creative art!
A super simple noodle dish that uses cheap cupboard ingredients, filling and tasty!
Making quite a lot of substitutions given the circumstances, but all these ingredients are easily accessible. You can leave out the meat option and have a purely vegetarian dish. Make sure all surfaces are clean and of course, hands are washed!
250 grams plain flour
250ml warm water
1 tsp salt
1 chopped white onion
3 chopped cloves of garlic
4 tbsp dark soy sauce
1 tbsp honey
1 tsp Chinese five-spice
1/2 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
Half head of broccoli, florets removed and cut in half
2 tbsp vegetable oil
Few sprigs of Coriander
2 chopped boneless and skinless chicken thighs.
Pan of boiling water
1. Bring a large pan of water to the boil. In a mixing bowl, add in your flour and salt, and gently pour in your warm water a little at a time until it forms a soft dough. You may not need all of the water.
2. Tip out your dough mixture onto your surface, with a dusting of flour so it doesn't stick, and kneed for a few minutes. Put it back in the bowl and let it rest for a few minutes.
3. For the sauce, in a bowl, mix together everything in your dressing list apart from the oil, onion, broccoli and coriander and set aside.
4. Flour the surface, cut your dough into halves and one half at a time roll out your dough with your rolling pin until its about a 1mm thickness. You don't need to measure, just get it thin without it looking translucent! Using a knife, cut into medium-sized strips, once you have all your trips, plunge them into the boiling water and cook until the noodles start to float to the top, once they've started to float leave for a further two minutes.
5. Once all your noodles have cooked, drain and rinse in cold water to stop sticking and set aside.
6. In a frying pan, add your oil, chopped onion and broccoli. (This is also where you would add in your chicken if you have it) Once onions and broccoli have softened (and chicken cooked), add in your noodles, and sauce mixture and mix well. Make sure all the sauce is coating the noodles.
7. Serve in a bowl and garnish with coriander or spring onions!